Solar energy is the heat and light from the sun that is harnessed and converted directly into other forms of energy, such as electricity.
How solar energy works:
- Solar panels convert sun's energy into electricity.
- A converter changes this electricity, enabling it to power electrical items.
- The electricity passes through a breaker box to sockets in the building.
- Items such as refrigerators, computers and TVs can be plugged into the sockets for power.
- Any extra electricity created during very 'sunny days' can be credited [used later]
Advantages of solar energy:
- clean, with no waste product
- solar panels are inexpensive to repair and maintain
- technology is cheap to install
Disadvantages of solar energy:
- not possible at night
- weather dependent; cloudy weather lessens the amount of solar energy created