Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon containing compounds.
A hydrocarbon is a substance that contains only carbon and hydrogen.
There are three main hydrocarbons on the course – alkanes, alkenes and alkynes.
A homologous series is a series of compounds:
- of similar chemical type.
- that show gradual change in their physical properties.
- all are prepared in a similar way.
- have a common general formula
- differ one from the next by a
The first homologous series we deal with is calles the alkanes (The ending tells us the chemical family).
Structural isomers... (More)