process involves boring down into the earth's crust to extract oil or gas. When drilling takes place, oil or gas are pumped to the surface. this can happen at land or sea.
Onshore/offshore oil spills
- Damage to local environment.
- Pollute water.
- Kill animals: ingestion or cover their bodies.
Corrib Oil and Gas Field: Mayo
- Investment: 4.3 billion euros
- Full production provides: 60% of Irelands gas needs.
- Supply fuel up to 20 years.
- More than 6,000 people were involved in bringing Corrib gas to market.
- 22 million euros was invested in local road upgrades.