Brooklyn directed John Crowley
*Cultural context: can be defined as the world of the text.
WHAT does this story teach us about life at that time?*
• Setting with a specific historical time - past at times sentimentalised but thoroughly scrutinised - a setting of hugely social and historical relevant to Irish society - the story of Ellis epitomises Ireland’s story of immigration
• Geographical location - contrast of locations clearly portrayed and the opposition between city NY /small town Enniscorthy
• Family - unit of family, nuclear family, bereaved family, supportive, estranged, communicated well, family in a new culture, NY melting-pot, Irish and Italian families
• Role of men, women and children - patriarchal society, women in a submissive role - traditional roles upheld by women, children obedient to their parents and authority figures
• Love and marriage - marriage of convenience, true love, equality, social norms and expectations
• Power - individual, institutional, religious - power resides in varying degrees throughout. Authority is a feature of all and has an impact on the characters and their world.
• Social status and opportunity (social mobility)
• Conflict - between characters, inner conflict in the characters, conflict derived from social circumstances
• Wealth and work - professional life and jobs a significant feature of the world of the characters.
• Religion- catholicism dominated, influential and powerful
• Morals, values and beliefs- traditional, conservative, repressed, stoic,
• Music, literature and art of the period - traditional, conservative in Ireland - reference to Hollywood movies in NY
• Fashion and clothing- used symbolically, indicates change and growth for Eilis - the rugby boys clothes symbolic of their social class and status
• Food and social activities - food and mealtimes a recurring motif in the film - indicates changes in social circumstances and exposure to new cultures
• Hobbies and pastimes- contrast established between the two locations - e.g. two different trips to the beach