To carry out flame tests with salts of lithium, sodium, potassium, barium, strontium and copper.
- Light a bunsen burner and adjust it to obtain a blue flame.
- Dip the wooden splint in water and add one of the salt to it so it sticks on.
- Place the wooden splint over the flame to observe the colour of the flame.
- After the salt has finished burning put the flame out and take note of the colour.
- Repeat this for all the different salts.
- Lithium – Deep red
- Sodium – Yellow
- Potassium – Lilac
- Barium – Green
- Strontium – Red... (More)