Ireland in 1500
King was Lord of Ireland and had little control. The country was divided into 3 areas:
- The Pale (English speaking, common law, cattle raids)
- The Anglo-Irish lordships (Norman descendants, common law, some Irish customs)
- The Gaelic Irish lordships (Brehon law, clan owned tuath, little had changed since Celts)
Henry VIII and Ireland
Henry wanted greater control in Ireland because:
- To reduce the power of the Fitzgerald’s of Kildare.
- To prevent the French or Spanish from using Catholic Ireland as a base.
- To introduce the changes in religion to Ireland.
Garret Óg put in jail. Silken Thomas... (More)