- Fibre helps the movement of food through the digestive system. It is not a nutrient, it is a carbohydrate.
- It helps to prevent constipation which is when stoals are hard and dry.
- Bran-rich cereals, brown bread, brown pasta, brown rice and fresh fruit and vegetables are good sources of fibre.
Bacteria in the Large Intestine
There are billions of bacteria in the large intestine. They benefit is in many ways:
- Break down undigested carbohydrates.
- Produce vitamins B and K.
- Prevent disease-causing bacteria from growing in the large intestine.