- Budget – A plan for spending money.
- Income – Money received.
- Expenditure – Money paid out.
- Gross Income – Total amount earned before deductions.
- PAYE – Pay As You Earn. Income Tax. Paid to State.
- PRSI – Pay Related Social Insurance. Pays for benefits if and when needed.
- Net Income – Total amount earned after deductions. Take home pay.
- Statutory Deductions – PAYE and PRSI
- Voluntary Deductions – Optional, e.g. health insurance.
- Household Expenses – Accommodation (rent/mortgage). Food. Clothing. Medical expenses. Travel. Electricity. Heating (gas/oil/etc.). Entertainment. Savings.
- Tax Credit – System used to calculate the amount of tax a... (More)
Join your FREE online community of students & teachers
LC Home Economics
Accelerated Freeze Drying (AFD) – A process whereby food is frozen quickly creating tiny ice crystals. The food is then dried in a chamber (sublimation) so the tiny ice crystals evaporate without turning to a liquid.
Air Blast Freezing – Food passes through a chamber on a conveyor belt and is blasted with cold air producing frozen food which is then packaged
Aseptic Canning – Food is sterilised and then placed into a sterilised can which is hermetically sealed, cooled and labelled.
Cold Smoking – Fish is salted and then heated to 30°C in the presence of creosote and formaldehyde... (More)
Ultra Heat Treated (UHT) – Milk is homogenised and then heated to 132°C for one second. It is then cooled and packaged into sterile containers.
Sterilisation – Milk is homogenised, sealed into bottles/cartons and then heated to 110° C for approximately 30 minutes. It is then cooled.
Spray Drying – Where milk is sprayed into containers of hot air. As the milk droplets fall, the water is evaporated producing a powder which is cooled, packaged and sealed into airtight containers. It is expensive and reconstitutes easily.
Roller Drying – Milk is poured onto heated revolving metal rollers. It is then... (More)