- Fall of ancient Rome to Renaissance.
- A time of war, little interest in education, plague and a reduction in population of Europe.
- Feudal system: Kings granted land, called a fief, to vassals in return for soldiers. Kings, barons, knights, bishops and abbots, freemen and serfs.
- Knights lived on Manors. They kept some for themselves (demesne) and rented out the rest to peasants.
- Norman invasion of Britain: William the Conqueror, Battle of Hastings 1066, Bayeux Tapestry.
- Norman invasion of Ireland: Rory O Connor V Dermot McMorrough king of Leinster. Asked Henry II for help.
- Strongbow (Richard... (More)